Thursday, July 15, 2010

It's the First Day of the Rest of your Life




This song has been sitting in my head for quite a while now, so I decided that I should do something about it! I need to get control of my life, and not have my life take control of me. The first area I need to work on is my health!

It's so easy to hear the sound of food - eat me, eat me, just a little bit, just a little bit more ..... Oh, I'll begin tomorrow; Oh gosh, I fell down today, so I guess I may as well give up ..... Sound familiar?? Well, NO MORE! For the last 2 weeks (or a little less) I've been getting myself into the mindset of changing my eating habits for the better. I cannot do diets - I fail every time. So I want to do something that is going to just be a part of my life.

Firstly, no more white starches! I LOOOOOOVE hot, fresh white bread straight out of the oven. One of my biggest downfalls. But I've discovered that wholewheat bread has a great flavor and now I will choose wholewheat over white!

Then, I'm trying to cut aspertame out of my life - I am not a soda junkie, but I do like my hot tea with milk and sugar (which I have cut down and added sweetener to). I also like a diet coke/pepsi every now and then. These have sweeteners that contain aspertame, which hasn't gotten a good review, so I'm using Stevia instead and trying to drink more water.

Salads are so boring, but by adding fruit, nuts (not too many) and some seeds, they can become pretty interesting! Add some grilled chicken and you have a healthy meal!

The most difficult part of this is not finishing something that my kids left on their plates, or to have something that they are eating (like pizza ....). However, slowly but surely, that craving is starting to disappear and I am starting to crave the pride I feel in myself when I say no.

The final part of this is adding more exercise to my diet. I am NOT a physical person but I know I need to exercise. So I am .... little at a time!

I know that this is the perfect time to start getting myself into healthy habits. I still have another 5 weeks or so of summer left before school starts, so hopefully, I will be on a roll by the time we get back.

"Battles are fought in our minds every day. When we begin to feel the battle is just too difficult and want to give up, we must choose to resist negative thoughts and be determined to rise above our problems. We must decide that we’re not going to quit. When we’re bombarded with doubts and fears, we must take a stand and say: "I’ll never give up! God’s on my side. He loves me, and He’s helping me! I’m going to make it!" JOYCE MEYER

3 comments:

  1. Oh my friend..it IS a battle to keep our bodies as a living temple. I struggle too and lack of time to prep lunches and meals is MY BIGGEST enemy! I have been inspired by this entry as I have been telling mself "this summer break is IT" health wise. CARPE DIEM EH? Love that you have a blog again..I am waiting for the holidays to get cracking on mine again...the enemy time again LOL LOVE YA XXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just like you!I love baking and then eat what has been baked too.My self-image is shocking at the moment and I know only I can sort by eating out!!Will join the challenge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, this workshop I did on Joyce Meyer : Battlefield of the Mind, has been awesome. It's taught me that I am what I think and what I say! So if we continue saying that we are fat, and overweight and unattractive, that's what we are going to be! So we ARE going to say that we are on a journey - not yet where we want to be but on the way. We are beautiful women with beautiful spirits and beautiful hearts - on our way to beautiful bodies :)

    ReplyDelete